Monday, October 10, 2011

The New Living Room

As most of you know, hubby went off to the "academy where you learn to fold your clothes in ridiculously small ways."

(Actually he is at the Kentucky State Police Academy. As of October 30, he will be a Kentucky State Trooper.)

He has been gone (during the week) since the end of May.

I had big, big plans while he was gone; some have been accomplished, some have not.

This is one of those that WAS accomplished.

You all also know that I have painted and repainted at least 5 rooms in our house since we moved in almost 2 years ago. I picked the paint for all the upstairs rooms prior to moving in and let's just say that I regretted the decisions within the first 6 months. That led to the dining room redo last winter.

This summer I finally chose the wall color and proceeded to repaint the living room and kitchen (as well as rearrange the living room) at approximately 1am. Seriously, I did. go check my facebook statuses if you don't believe me.

Anyway, here are the befores.



It is so strange to me how different things look IRL that they do in pictures. The living room never really bothered me until I saw how it played out on "film." It was then that I realized the yellow was not working for me (along with the brick with black grout). Here is the same wall after paint and rearranging.



Now I must tell you that is the spot that "Cindy" was supposed to go.


Who's Cindy?


Go read this and this and see for yourself.


I was so excited about putting a dresser there that I had to find a replacement for Cindy. I found this little sweetie at an auction-big surprise huh? She was much more expensive than Cindy's $15 price tag, but I guess you have to be willing to pay more for furniture WITHOUT powder post beetles!



This was one of those shots that made me say-yuck, I need to do something about that brick! Here is a similar shot after the new paint.


This is the view as you walk in from the foyer.




Finally, here is a tour of the living room. I realized that you all really haven't seen my living room from all angles.


So here goes.


Now you are walking around the couch...
(and yes that lamp shade is wompy-jawed. I cannot get it to stay straight!)



This is the view from the fireplace looking back towards the foyer.




View from the hearth looking towards the hallway.



This is the view from the hallway looking towards the kitchen.




View from the kitchen.




And an overall view of the living room.



Now, I will give you some close-ups of some of my favorite areas.



I showed you all part of this wall in me "Q is for Quaint" post.


I tweaked it by adding pictures of hubby and I when we were three.

And no room of my is complete without adding some transferware.



The color is from Benjamin Moore's "Wythe Blue" swatch.


It is the lightest color tinted at 3/4 strength. The backs of the bookshelves are painted the darkest color on the swatch-I think it is Paladian Blue. So far I'm loving the blue.


I want to add some more throw pillows and possibly hang some more plates, but for the most part I'm content with the room!

I'm on fall break this week. I'm hoping to get a post on my outside decorations and maybe my kitchen. Oh and I have more changes to my laundry closet. Maybe I did get some things accomplished while hubby was away folding his clothes and shining his boots!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You got a lot done and it looks great! Love the fireplace -what a huge difference! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what a difference! It's so much more crisp and calm. You've been busy! Love the red plates on the wall and the color palette you ended up with.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails