Sunday, March 7, 2010

Islands in the Stream

Well, I have reached week #9 in my quest for organizing my blog:
This week is "I" week and to be quite honest, I am getting a little over this plan of mine. Decorating ADHD has struck again. I have so many things going on that I am dying to share, but I MUST press on and follow through with my original plan. Otherwise, I'll end up chasing my tail and never getting anything accomplished.

I alluded to the subject of this week's post on my "fear" blog. I made you wait until now to see more (and better pictures). The second (and last) post for "I" week is my island.

I have coveted islands forever, really. So, I was beyond thrilled when we walked into this house and there she sat. AN ISLAND! When we moved in, I continued to be happy with her...
for about 2 weeks.

My husband says I am easy to please, just hard to keep pleased. Don't be mad at him, I can't tell you how right he is!

This is the kitchen the day we closed on the house (see the Sherwin Williams bags on the island?)

I wanted a little more counter space and room for at least 4 people to sit comfortably. I came up with a basic design and spoke with a local kitchen designer to help me make it happen.

I requested big, chunky legs, a larger countertop and a beadboard wrap. I wanted to make the island look more like a piece of furniture. The kitchen guy did a beautiful job, here it is right after he left.


Not only have I always wanted an island, but I've always wanted a RED island, so about 10 minutes after he left, I broke out Martha's Hollyhock red and got to it.


Hubby caught me in the act

I put on three coats of red and then brushed some glaze in the cracks and crevices to help them pop out. I followed up with 3 coats of polyurethane.
The kitchen guy thought I was crazy when I told him I wanted to paint it red, but even he was impressed with the results.

Here are some pictures of her in all her red glory:




The best part is I am going on 3 months with the new, improved island and I still love it! Whoo hoo a breakthrough!!


Linking to:

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I like the red too. I wouldn't have thought of it. :)

    Quick reminder: I hope you'll link up to the "Show Me the Progress" party this week. It goes live Tuesday night and will be up all day Wednesday. :) Just about ANYTHING counts as progress (even a list of ideas!), and it doesn't have to be about a Decorating Dilemma. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Molly. :) Thanks for the comment...I was glad that my "manifesto" was well-received. ;) Glad you're planning on linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red is my very favorite color! I LOVE it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the island--i miss my red...oh nooo. I wanted to let you know I featured your card table.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails