Thursday, June 23, 2011

I'm Not Just Eating Bon Bons...

I just wanted to show you guys one of the projects I've been up to since you last heard from me.



I promise I've been busy.



Hubby is at the academy where "you learn to fold your clothes in ridiculously small ways," I am taking my next to last master's class, I have 3 kids and 3 dogs who seem to go different directions at the same time. Blogging has taken a backseat.



Sorry :(






Anyway, this post is about my master bedroom. "I've seen it" you say?



I don't think so. Remember the blues? This room got them too.






My bedding was in sorry, sorry shape. I love toile and red and Hubby really likes blue. I struggled for awhile how to marry our loves without looking all "Americana."



It's not that I'm non-patriotic, I just had visions of 1980's countrified Americana decor. Then I found the fabric. For me it always starts with the fabric.






Then I found the blue. And I think it just took off from there.



I kept a very little bit of the original red toile to make a "napping blanket." I got a simple blue blanket from Wal-mart, sewed the red toile on the front and then put about 9-10 covered buttons on it to keep the two pieces of fabric from shifting too much.

My old dining room table has become a desk. Granted I'm sitting on the bed typing this blog, but the desk looks cute doesn't it?
This chair was the inspiration. It was another auction find, but this one got a little expensive.




I had hubby bidding against this really oddball guy and I just couldn't let him and his oddballness have it. While the bidding was going on he would get really close to the auctioneer and just stare at him while he was deciding if he should bid again or not. Then when he would decide to bid he would make a big deal about bidding-throw his hands in the air and yell really loud. That chair would have been so unhappy at his house.

I put these old closet doors behind the dresser because it is on a really long wall and I needed to break up the wall. I did not want to think about what to do with that big ole wall. I actually like how the white breaks up the blue. Closet doors behind furniture is my new favorite thing.

I used chalk paint on the chest. I'm not completely sold on chalk paint yet. It is easy to use, but I didn't fork out the bucks for the waxes so the polyurethane yellows the paint. Plus I'm not used to the heavily distressed look. Maybe I just need more practice.
I added the monogram to the headboard using contact paper and my Cricut. It was a big ole brown space that just needed a little sumpin.


You know how much I love plates. This is just part of my collection of red transferware. Some plates are hung with nails and some are hung with 3M velcro tabs. It is one of my favorite parts of the room! You know how I am about "views." This is the view from my bed.


This picture is taken before the plate wall was done, but you can see the closet doors and my some other favorite pictures. You can also see the "napping blanket" being put to use by my youngest daughter!




I decided that I would enter my "Americana" bedroom over at the CSI challenge this week. Come on by and see the other red, white and/or blue entries!




Also linking up with Roomspiration:

4 comments:

  1. Molly- The room looks amazing. I love the red and blue combo...I think you did it just right...and I would NOT have let old Mr. Weirdness outbid me on the chair either. Hope your weekend is restful and wonderful! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bedroom turned out just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat idea to put the closet doors behind the dresser! Your room is lovely! I'm so glad you joined Roomspiration today!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails